From the eye of a blind

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 42; the forty-second edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. The theme for the month is "COLOR"

blind man with cane cartoon


Krushna, the one guy who never failed to amaze me. Though blind by birth, you wouldn't dare to call him visually impaired. He had that kind of abilities. I remember the first time I met him, he was with some of my friends. I wondered what are they doing with a blind guy. He was quite throughout our conversation. We made plans for outing.


"Its going to rain."  He said quietly.
It was a wonderfully sunny day. We laughed at him. He took no offence, remained calm and smiled. But he decided to join us nonetheless. We must have been out for less than an hour, it suddenly got dark. Within minutes it was raining cats and dogs. I was stunned.


"How you did this?"  I whispered to him, quite obviously amazed.
"I can smell colors in everything",  he answered in same whisper, smiling conspiringly.
"Smell colors?"  I was baffled.
"Yes"
"How?"
"This rain, to me sky, water, ice things like.these are blue. Cold is blue. Since I can't see, I smell. I can smell seas and oceans and rain. I can even smell winter and ice." This left me not only flabbergasted but also intrigued.
"Can you smell red?"
"Yes. Red is the colour of heat  and love. So sun, for me, is red. Your blush is red. I can smell blood, which again is red. Not to forget roses and the glances you keep giving to Abhi."
This bowled me over. "How do you know? Nobody knows, not even even Abhi."
"I can't see,  I smell. Remember?"
I blushed.
"I smell red." He said teasingly, and I blushed harder.
"You know what's yellow for me?"
"No, tell me."
"Warmth. Summer, hugs, some handshakes are yellow to me."
I, just then, happened to see a bunch of exquisite white Lilly. "White is such a lovely colour" I exclaimed almost whist-fully.
"I am not sure, its so empty. Isn't white the absence of colors?" He shrugged.
"Yes, but peace is also associated with white,right?"
"Did you ever notice, peace is the absence of war or fear and desire and jealousy and emotions like that. Not the presence of something."
I was dumbfounded. I didn't know what  to say, but I wasn't willing to let the conversation die as yet.
"Don't you sometime wish you could see?"
Shall I tell you what is the most beautiful thing that exist?"
"What?"
"Black,The night, the darkness. Its the presence of every colour. And I possess the most beautiful thing . Why would I wish it to end."
I was rendered speechless.


The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. Participation Count: 10.

28 Obiters:

Sifar said...

Smell of Colors...awesome concept...lovvd the write-up :)

the factfiction said...

thanks sweetheart

Sunjoo Krishna said...

The post is very heartwarming ... I meant to say: smells very yellow to me. :)

Unknown said...

Very soulful story !

the factfiction said...

Sunjoo Thanks..some more yellows and red for you to smell :)

the factfiction said...

Thankyou Usha ;)

RJ said...

that left me speechless too..

the factfiction said...

thankyou rhythm

Menachery said...

i was waiting to read your post as Sunjoo drew out similarities in our posts .. lol. I must say, your post is beautifully narrated and is touching and worth a thought :) ATB

Someone is Special said...

Smelling colors! This is a beautiful piece Tanaya. Keep writing for BAT!

Someone is Special

the factfiction said...

Indeed similar :p thanks...am glad you enjoyed it :)

the factfiction said...

Sarav...its somehow always good to have you here... :)

the little princess said...

that's actually quite true...! is he not far more sighted, who can "see" what others cannot!!

Vinay Leo R. said...

I liked that. The fragrance of colors. Very interesting. The smell of red was nice to read :)

the factfiction said...

You've got it right little princess :)

the factfiction said...

Thanks Leo :D

Simran said...

Fantastic!!
truly loved it! The conclusions he made for white and then his positive attitude for the color black... Won my heart.


All the best dear :)

Unknown said...

Very spirited, the protagonist. I liked the content of conversation.
All the best. Keep writing, keep reading the BAT entries. That's the essence of sharing, growing and enjoying! :)

Cheers
Animesh

Unknown said...

And I love the tagline "Because every fiction is someone's fact" :)

the factfiction said...

Thankyou Simran...my efforts are paid :)

the factfiction said...

Yeah...true and thanks a ton

the factfiction said...

:D

N.S.Kirti said...

Very intriguing. I loved his take on white and black; the last part especially blew my mind. This is true sight i feel, perceiving things that are so invisible for most of us.
Thank you for this interesting take on the topic :)

the factfiction said...

Thankyou kirti

CRD said...

Its a fact that the absence of one of our senses results in a higher degree of development in the other senses. For instance, deaf people tend to be really keen observers and possess a higher degree of attention.

I love black too. Black goes with anything, when it comes to clothing.

Love the look of your blog. 5 stars.

All the best for BAT 42

Here's my entry

CRD - HOLY WAR

Cheers
CRD

the factfiction said...

Ohh thankyou so very much

Kshitij KK Khurana said...

Sooo very nice. I really liked this post - from a blind person's perspective.

the factfiction said...

Thanks kshitij

Post a Comment

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips