The Divorce

This post has been published by me as a part of Blog-a-Ton 59; the fifty-ninth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. In association with ​IndiCreator. For Creators. By Creators.. Share Your #LockdownTales at indicreator.com
divorce image
Home is where your heart is
When the heart breaks, home breaks.



It was a beautiful Sunday morning. Sanaya was busy making tea for her husband and herself. She poured the tea in two beautiful and delicate china cups. Put them in the tray with some biscuits and walked to the living room with the tray where her husband was watching TV. On the way, from the table, she picked up a mud-colored folder. She sat beside her husband, gave him one cup and the folder.

“What is this?” He inquired about the folder.
“Look for yourself,” She replied dryly.


When he looked into the file his eyes became wide.

“Divorce?” He was baffled beyond belief. “But why”?
“You don’t know?”

He looked all the more baffled.

“I know you are cheating on me.” She said with a sigh.
“What? What are you saying? No.”
“I saw you with her yesterday in the coffee shop around the corner from your office. I have seen you with her a few more times as well, in some restaurants and other places.”
“Yesterday? I was with my secretary. We were there for a meeting.”
“Just the two of you?”
“No, we were waiting for the clients.”
“So, you take her everywhere?”
“No. Only where she is needed officially.”
“So, it means everywhere.”
“You are making unnecessary assumptions.”
“You know I am right. Just sign the papers. I can’t be with you anymore.”


Later that night Lockdown was announced. Sanaya received a call from her lawyers saying they will have to wait till the lockdown ends. The courts are closed and will be only resumed after the lockdown.

“Looks like we are stuck together for some time.”

But her problems didn’t stop there. The next day, the owner’s association of her apartment community decided they will not allow anyone inside, not even the household support like maids and cleaners.

Sanaya had to get up at 5 in the morning to go on her jogging routine. It was one thing that gave her peace. Then, she would clean the dishes, clean the house, and cook. They both were working from home, so she had to cook both breakfast and lunch in the morning. Then they would eat together. After two days, her husband realized how hard it was for her to manage everything. So, he started to get up early as well. While Sanaya cleaned utensils, he cleaned the house. When she cooked, he helped her with choppings and other little things.

She started to enjoy their time together. When they were working in different rooms, she would look forward to their lunch breaks and the conversations that came with it. It started to feel like the time they fell in love after their first meeting in a marathon. They both were fitness lovers. They used to enjoy these marathons. That led them to more meetings and eventually, they fell in love with each other. They even bought the Samsung smartwatches together.

But after marriage, he was sucked up in corporate life and work. She kept enjoying her jogging routines but he was busy working and going around in corporate parties. In just one year, the distance between them grew and the next year became unbearable with their continuous fighting. They started to avoid each other and sometimes it is days before they see each other again.

Lockdown has brought them close together. Although he wasn’t back to jogging or any kind of work out, but he was always helping her with household work. They started talking again. It wasn’t like they were back in love again like before but at least they weren’t on each other’s throats.

But that happiness was short-lived. He fell ill, suffering with fever. She was scared for him, scared if he was down with the deadly COVID-19. They had him tested and thankfully he tested negative. But he was down with a viral fever that was severe. The doctor advised him to bed rest. So, now she was handling the household, her office work, and her husband as well. But the worry she felt for him made her more than willing to do anything necessary to make him comfortable. She was always around him, taking care of all his needs.

Five weeks hence, and things had fallen into a routine. They had fallen into an amicable arrangement. A week after his illness, with her care, he was feeling better. She was taking an important office call in the other room and he was thirsty. So, with a lot of effort, he got up and started walking towards the kitchen. It was then that he overheard her.

“I can’t do this anymore. I can’t do us anymore.”
“I know things haven’t been good between me and him for quite some time now but the lockdown has brought us closer.”
“No. You don’t understand, there is no Us now. I am in love with him. Again.”
“Please. That was a mistake with you. I found comfort in you when things were rocky in my marriage. But now I want it to work. I don’t love you. I love him, my husband.”
“We will not be in touch anymore. Goodbye.”

When she opened the door, he was standing before her, tears rolling down his eyes. She was shocked.

“Listen, I can explain.”

He held his hand up.

“There is nothing to explain. You have been cheating on me the whole time and you pointed the fingers at me, making me the culprit. Why? To ease your own guilt or for finding a reason to blame me for the divorce. I am sorry I ever fell in love with you. For two years you proved yourself to be the worst wife anyone could have. You were never supportive, never there when I needed you to, always busy with yourself. Always avoiding when I wanted to talk about the problems I was facing. You were the kind of wife I would never wish on someone. But in the last two months, you were the best wife. You looked after me, you were a friend, a mother, a girlfriend, everything to me. A marriage works more on trust than on love. Even though I love you still, I can’t trust you anymore. You wanted a divorce, you will get one as soon as the court resume.”

With this, he walked away from her, never to look back.
Good to be back for #BlogATon59 with the #LockdownTales.

The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. Show your support for the hastags #BlogATon59 & #LockdownTales. Participation Count: 23.

22 Obiters:

Someone is Special said...

It is so sad to read... but I have my sadness as I am not able to complete read the sentences that are hidden behind the sidebar for some reasons. I'd be happy to read the post again.

Here's my take on the topic - Love In The Time Of Virus: The Lockdown And Thereafter

Someone is Special

the factfiction said...

Its taken care of....Thankyou for letting me know....Read and let me know what you think of the story...enjoyed reading yours.

Vipul Grover said...

Hey, there is some issue with the design as pointed out by Sarav. Please sort it out. Else, just repost the whole thing here in comments, for time being. Will love to read your take on lockdown, but simply can't.

Vipul Grover said...

I believe it is because of the picture which is wider than the template and is not autofitting. Remove it and check.

aativas said...

Same point as Sarav and Vipul have raised. Cannot read the text fully due to overlap of the right column. So read the story with 'fill in blanks'. Would like to read the complete story. Please, look at the template design.

Vipul Grover said...

I managed to read after copy-pasting it on word. As the adage goes: There are two sides to a coin. I liked the twist in the end. Relationships are really tricky. Lockdown has just added more layers to them, for some good, for others bad. Keep writing.
Here's my entry:
Unfinished work left in our bags

Megha said...

Dear Tanaya,

BAT has made most of us story tellers and you are indeed a good one! I really liked how you have tried to share the power of love and betrayal.
Lockdown has really given us a lot of time to either be with our lovedones or find reasons to stay away from them!

A story well written! All the best dear for BAT59.

(Sorry I had to copy paste, and then read it.. deleted later from my notepad).

the factfiction said...

Hi,

Thank you everyone for going through so much trouble for reading the story and pointing put the issue. Finally I managed to get it right. Hope everyone else enjoys reading it without any issue.

Chetan Maheshwari said...

Hi,
I thought it to be the happy ending but then there was another twist....overall a good story and a good portrayal of love and doublecross in the framework of lockdown....

the factfiction said...

Thankyou :)

Smita said...

Trust is so easy to break and so hard to get back .. Nicely written story . All the best to you!!

Unknown Shri said...

Dang it! Brutal for him. Maybe I am reading too much here, but this is somewhat of an happy ending because hia lockdown ends!

the factfiction said...

Smita...true..thanks.

the factfiction said...

Shri...I love your reaction 😂.

Kshitij KK Khurana said...

Hello Dear Tanaya,
It's a very nice post. I finished it in one attentive go despite being distracted by a 1000 things. I found the part about pointing fingers to ease your own guilt the best. That's what we keep doing subconsciously in marriage. Thank you for writing. Good luck.

the factfiction said...

Thank you :)

Simran said...

This was such an amazing read! Absolutely loved the narration. Distrust and cheat can't keep any sort of relation going. One of the best entries I read so far <3

the factfiction said...

Thankyou Simran...Means so much.

Aura Of Thoughts said...

Finally a justice and the culprit will not be spared. It is not mistake that makes person wrong it is the afterdoung of mistake that brings out the real attitude of person. Well written

the factfiction said...

Thankyou :)

Siddhesh Kabe said...

wow, this story moved through the roller coaster of situations but glad that ending resolved the issues. Very well written, really. Bad relationships are bound to break and for good reasons.

Thanks,
Siddhesh
[Short Story] 9123

the factfiction said...

Thanks a lot.:)

Post a Comment

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips