A war to love

man and a woman holding hands



There is nothing more strange than Love. You find it at most bizarre places, in most kooky situations and with most eccentric people. Watching Laura and Jonathan walking down the aisle certified this to everyone. They looked like a pair of expensive earphones and a bottle of cough syrup. Exactly, no match. Jonathan stood tall, handsome and elegant in his wedding suit. His features could beat the hottest of the Hollywood star, while Laura looked older, tired, gawky. Jonathan wheeled Laura to the altar himself. He looked no lesser proud, no lesser in love with her.

Prank is life's favorite sport, it keeps playing it on everyone. Laura and Jonathan were no exception.


"I remember the first time I laid my eyes on Laura" reminisces Jonathan " She took my breath away in a flash. She was smiling over something someone said, and I couldn't tear my eyes off her. Her face suddenly got lit up like a thousands stars. Her hair reminded me of silk, every time air blew into them. She would often move her hands in them. And then it happened, the lightening strikes, the bells rang, birds sang, yes, she looked at me with those kohl filled liquid eyes. I was rooted. I wasn't sure if I was dead or alive. Whatever it was, the feeling was unprecedented and thrilling. She held my stare as she walked towards me. I waited with my breath stuck in my throat. I was so occupied looking at her that i didn't even notice the door right next to me." He laughed. "  After long I realized she was gone. I was flabbergasted. I was in a fix. I did not know her name, or anything about her as a matter of fact. I ran after her, but way too late. She was gone already. I had no clue how I was going to find her, but I knew I will, I had to, anyhow. For months, I attended every party in the town. I made myself invited to the ones I wasn't. I felt like a mad man, and I knew if I did not find her, I will be one soon. I was so hopelessly in love. But all went in vain. I gave up my hope of finding her. My parents were inclined to get me married. But I couldn't bring myself to comply to their wishes. How could I? My heart was lost to that mysterious woman. for me it was either her or no one else. And my parents would have understood if only I had something to tell them. I had no name, no identity, no photograph, nothing about the woman I was so crazily in love with. And then one fine day I saw her, again." He smiled fondly at the memories. "I had to visit hospital to see one of my ailing relatives. I was lost in thoughts, of course, of her, and was walking in the corridor, to the room. And suddenly she was there, standing face to face. There was something in her eyes that always did put me to trance. Before I could think of something to say, she said excuse me, you are standing in my way. And like a dumb, I moved aside, staring at her blankly." He gave a hearty laugh. " But this time I managed to break the spell she had put me in to, in time. I ran to her and guess what did I say? Instead of asking her name and whereabouts, I proposed her right away. I told her that I love her and if she will marry me.She laughed like I was a mad man. Well, at that time that was exactly what I was. And then she ruffled my hair like I was a school boy with a huge crush over her. Later did I realize how silly I must have sounded. I did not even know if she was married or not. I forgot my ill relative and ran after her. It took me almost a year of rigorous courtship and pursuance to make her believe that I indeed loved her truly. Finally she agreed to marry me. But then in all those fantastic moments, life happened. Laura was diagnosed with brain tumor." He spoke with sadness and wistfulness evident in his tone. "She went under various treatments and medications. It was a tough time to both of us and our families and friends. For me it was no less than a nightmare. It took me so much of perseverance to find my love, and I was not ready to let go of it, not now, not ever. All the the treatments and medications started taking toll on her. She was tired all the time and slept mostly. She lost her hair and that electrifying glow on her face. Her eyes were full of sorrow and agony. It killed me to see her like that. I wanted to marry her still, and she wanted to wait until she gets better. Which, later got evident she wasn't going to be. Doctors said surgery is the last option they are left it. And even that wasn't a sure thing. She could live or she could die. It was almost impossible to make the decision. I wanted to see her out of the misery, and surgery was our only option. If she lived she will be cured and if she died...." his voice choked. "Anyways, it took me another round of persuasion to make her agree to getting married to me before the surgery. And finally she agreed. And now here we are, married." He held her hand tight as if that would make her stay by his side forever. "Tomorrow is her surgery. I don't know what the day has in for us. It is scary. But I love her enough to take my chances. If she lives, which I so desperately hope she does, I live. If she dies, I go with her. I have no life beyond her from the day I first lay my eyes on her." And with that he kissed her on the forehead with all the love that he had.

Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is  growing up.-James A. Baldwin


This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda 


 

10 Obiters:

Amit said...

Actually there is nothing more strange than love...wonderful write up!!

Unknown said...

That was amazing. *sobs*

the factfiction said...

Amit... thanks sweetheart :D

the factfiction said...

Aaliya.. Awww..thats the sweetest ever reaction :D

Rat said...

a very touching tale. wonderfully written.

the factfiction said...

Thanks :)

kalpana solsi said...

a very touching story. sad.

the factfiction said...

Thanks kalpana

Anmol Rawat said...

indeed a nice writeup :)

the factfiction said...

thankyou anmol :)

Post a Comment

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips